As A LOT Downtown 2 winds down as a major success, recapped by the Arts Council for Long Beach, A LOT North 1 and 2 enter the art scene in North Long Beach. As part of the Arts Council for Long Beach’s initiative for finding common ground between residents, A LOT North will feature a wide variety of dance performances, visual arts groups and other opportunities to get creative.
Non-traditional events like A LOT 2014 can encourage Long Beach residents to envision the potential for these unused spaces and help break down barriers to create an interactive arts event for all audiences. Check out the information for A LOT North 1 and 2 below. We’re especially excited about Taste of North Town on October 19.
A LOT North 1
October 18, 11:00AM to 3:00PM
Check out the music, dance groups, visual arts groups and giant sand sculptures.
- Dance Long Beach is a group of 12 individual dance companies who will create a performance featuring each of their specialties.
- POP’D is a drum group that will present an interactive, dynamic drum show.
- David Hedden will involve patrons to paint and decorate a birdhouse that can later be used to house various wildlife native to North Long Beach.
- Jocelyn Foye will create a 100-person synchronized ‘swimming’ dance performance that will be photographed from a four-story crane.
- Hmong Association of Long Beach will feature cultural drumming and dancing paired with craft tables geared toward families.
- Rotaract Long Beach will bring the beach to North Long Beach by creating sand sculptures.
A LOT North 2
October 19, 2:00PM to 7:00PM
In addition to the art, Taste of North Town will feature local North Long Beach restaurants in an event similar to Taste of Downtown or Stroll and Savor. You can enjoy great music, learn how to ride a bicycle safely through traffic, all the while savoring the delicious local cuisine.
- Jazz Angels will bring jazz to North Long Beach by featuring their troupe, local gospel groups, and other artists.
- Long Beach Playhouse will create and curate three 20 minute performances including a shadow puppet piece.
- Bike Rodeo, a Safe Moves program, will be offering tutorials for those looking for tips on how to navigate bikes on the street.
- Bike Odyssey is a traveling theatre performance on bikes that will transform A LOT into Homer’s The Odyssey as the audience cycles through.
- Angela Willcocks will create short animations of barber shops in North Long Beach
A LOT North 1 and 2 will be held at the corner of Artesia Blvd. and Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, CA 90813.