Foods to Keep Your Pet Away From

Dangerous-Foods 1

Pet Patters

Many kitchen foods are potentially harmful to dogs and cats. Even though the degree of toxicity depends on species, breed, size of pet, and amount ingested over a period of time, it’s best to stay away from these foods at all times.

Symptoms for most of these toxins include vomiting, weakness, lethargy, lack of appetite, abnormal heart rhythm, anemia, low blood sugar, seizures, organ failure and acute death. 

The following is a list of toxins that you need to keep away from your pet (and keep your pet away from as well—they like to get into purses, wastebaskets, cupboards—anything they can manipulate):

  • Chewing gum and sweeteners that contain xylitol.
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Caffeine beverages such as tea, diet soda, diet pills, coffee, and energy drinks. 
  • Mushrooms
  • Tomatoes
  • Raw fish
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and cocoa
  • Onions and onion powder
  • Baby food containing onion powder
  • Garlic
  • Hops
  • Any foodstuff with mold on it
  • Yeast dough
  • Potato leaves
  • Seeds or pits from mustard, peaches, cherries, apricots, and apples
  • Grapes
  • Walnuts
  • Raisins

If your pet has ingested any of these things, consider it a medical emergency and to be addressed immediately. If you know your pet has eaten one of these toxins, call your vet immediately, and be prepared to give hydrogen peroxide orally at home before you bring your pet in if he or she so instructs you.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center can help; their phone number is (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may apply. Our office is open till midnight.



Share this:


NEVER MISS A STORY