Poinsettias—Beautiful, but Poisonous to Pets

Poinsettias are very popular during the Christmas season. But the milky-white sap found in the plants contains a potentially poisonous chemical.

Story continued below.
S P O N S O R

If you have both poinsettias and pets in the house, make sure that they don’t come into contact with each other. If you do suspect poinsettia poisoning, watch for vomiting, drooling, and diarrhea. If your pet comes into physical contact with the milky white sap, skin irritation and mild conjunctivitis of the eye can occur.

Generally, though, poinsettias are not the deadly nightshade of plants toxic to pets. They’re only mildly poisonous to dogs and cats. Clinical signs are self-limiting and generally don’t require medical treatment unless severe. Nonetheless, a veterinary visit or call can’t hurt.

For anything deemed an emergency after hours, the ASPCA Poison Control Helpline is a respected resource. The number is (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.



Share this:


NEVER MISS A STORY