The marathon's route, courtesy of ICB.
Hey Long Beach night owls, if you’re heading home late Saturday night behind the wheel, make sure to allow enough time to avoid the street closures. Once the clock hits midnight, workers will begin setting up barricades and closing down the roads for The Long Beach International City Bank Marathon, one of the city’s most attended and largest events.
Marathon organizers urge residents to avoid driving, at least not until the race is over at 2:00PM. If you must drive, allow extra time for travel due to the closures and traffic delays.
According to the Resident Information Flyer, the marathon course has a “rolling” re-opening, meaning the Long Beach Police will re-open streets as the event continues and the athletes have moved past a certain point. Drivers, you do not want to get caught in this chaos. October 12 is for the athletes, not your transportation woes.
Approximately 26,000 racers, cheered on by nearly 100,000 ecstatic people lining the streets, will run through Shoreline Village, past our very own vintage liner, the Queen Mary, along Ocean Blvd. up to CSULB and, if they have it in them, will run back down again.
See below for the street closures, provided by RunLongBeach:
- Shoreline Drive from Shoreline Village Drive to the 710 Freeway, 5:00:00 AM to 10:00 AM
- Shoreline Drive from Shoreline Village Drive to Ocean Boulevard, 5:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Pine Avenue from Shoreline Drive to Seaside Way, 5:00 AM to 10:00 AM
- Queensway Bridge northbound from Ocean Boulevard to the 710 Freeway, 5:00 AM to 9:30 AM
- Ocean Boulevard westbound from Livingston Drive to 54th Street, 5:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- Livingston Drive from Termino Avenue to Broadway, 5:00 AM to 1:15 PM
- Nieto Avenue from Appian Way to Broadway, 5:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Appian Way from Nieto Avenue to Park Avenue, 5:00 AM to 12:30 PM
- Park Avenue from Anaheim Street to Appian Way, 5:00 AM to 12:15:00 PM
- 6th Street from Park Avenue to Monrovia Avenue, 5:00 AM to 10:30 AM
- Monrovia Avenue from 6th Street to 4th Street, 5:00 AM to 10:30 AM
- 4th Street from Monrovia Avenue to Orlena Avenue, 5:00 AM to 10:30 AM
- Orlena Avenue from Colorado Street to 4th Street, 5:00 AM to 10:30 AM
- Colorado Street from Orlena Avenue to Appian Way, 5:00 AM to 10:30 AM
- Marine Stadium from Nieto Avenue to Bayshore, 5:00 AM to 10:30 AM
- Palo Verde southbound from Atherton to Anaheim, 5:00 AM to noon.
- Atherton westbound from Clark Avenue to Bellflower Boulevard, 5:00 AM to noon.
- Atherton from Bellflower Boulevard to Palo Verde, 5:00 AM to 12:15 PM
- Clark Avenue northbound from Atherton to Anaheim, 5:00 AM to 12:30 PM
- Anaheim from PCH to Clark Avenue, 5:00 AM to 12:30 PM
- Ocean Boulevard from Livingston to Alamitos, 5:00 AM to 2:00 PM
For a map and more detailed information on how to avoid these closures, if you must drive, click on the ICB Marathon’s Resident Information Flyer.