Two Construction Workers Hospitalized for Carbon Monoxide Exposure Thursday Morning, Authorities Say

Two workers at a Long Beach construction site were transported to a local hospital Thursday morning after possibly experiencing carbon monoxide exposure, fire officials said.

Story continued below.
S P O N S O R

Long Beach Fire Department (LBFD) paramedics responded to the 2200 block of East Carson Street on Thursday, August 20, and subsequently transported the two workers for further evaluation, LBFD spokesman Jake Heflin said.

The state’s Division of Occupational Safety and Health was also notified, he said.

Authorities said the workers were in a room at the construction site that had running power equipment. The equipment they were using was not known.

The use of such equipment indoors and without adequate ventilation is similar to running a car indoors and allowing the fumes to fill the small space, Heflin said.

According to Heflin, typical carbon monoxide symptons include headaches, dizzines, nauesea, vomiting and flush skin.

Heflin also warned of the danger of using outdoor heating equipment inside, such as a space heater.

"That’s how you get whole families killed, because they went to sleep and never woke up," Heflin said. "It’s the silent killer."



Share this:


NEVER MISS A STORY