With large crowds expected to attend the Belmont Shore Christmas Parade tomorrow evening, the Long Beach Police Department (LBPD) encourages attendees to comply with laws to ensure everyone’s safety.
Here are some tips provided by the LBPD:
- Arrive early, not minutes before the parade starts at 6:00PM, to allow time to find legal parking or consider using public transportation to avoid traffic congestion. Parking laws will be strictly enforced and illegally parked vehicles are subject to be towed.
- Attendees cannot reserve sidewalk areas and center medians until 5:00PM. In previous parades, placing personal items in these areas has caused pedestrian and traffic issues. In an effort to prevent injuries and collisions, the LBPD will confiscate any items along the parade route prior to street closures, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Items will be available for pick-up at Bay Shore Library after the event.
- The law strictly prohibits the consumption of alcoholic beverages on public property including sidewalks, medians and roads. Underage drinking is also illegal, and anyone in violation will be subject to a citation or arrest.
- Street vendors without a business license are subject to a citation or arrest and may have their property confiscated.
- Dispensing of Silly String is not permitted, and violators may be cited for littering.
- Parade goers are advised to report suspicious activity to the nearest police officer or by calling 911.
The police department also reminds parade goers of affected street closures:
- Livingston Avenue will be closed from Ocean Boulevard to 2nd Street at 2:00PM for staging parade participants.
- All north and south streets from Quincy to Claremont Avenues will be closed up to any immediate alleyways that run parallel to 2nd Street at 3:00PM.
- At 5:00PM, 2nd Street will be closed from Livingston Drive to Bay Shore Avenue.
- Roads are anticipated to reopen by 11:00PM.