UPDATE: Long Beach Man Pleads Not Guilty to Eight Criminal Charges for Suspected Road Rage Assaults

UPDATE | A man accused of committing multiple road rage attacks in the Long Beach and Carson areas pleaded not guilty to eight criminal charges at his arraignment this afternoon at the Governor George Deukmejian Courthouse.

43-year-old Long Beach resident Donald James Kleaven faces three counts of assault with a deadly weapon—a vehicle—three counts of hit-and-run driving resulting in property damage, and one count each of false imprisonment by violence and vandalism with over $400 damage, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office.

During one month-long rash of assaults, officials said Kleaven allegedly blocked a motorist on a freeway onramp, got out of his vehicle and began kicking the motorist's car. 

Kleavon faces a possible maximum sentence of eight years and 10 months in prison if convicted as charged. 

He is due back in court May 21 to recieve a preliminary hearing date.

PREVIOUSLY: Eyewitnesses Help Police Arrest Long Beach Man Suspected of Multiple Road Rage Incidents

 5/13/15 6:13PM A Long Beach man was arrested today for multiple road rage incidents, including his involvement in hit-and-run accidents, making obscene gestures and kicking others' vehicles, California Highway Patrol (CHP) officials said.

The arrest was the culmination of an investigation into road rage occurrences—mostly in Long Beach, on the San Diego (405) Freeway—authorities said 43-year-old Donald James Kleaven committed while driving a dark-colored Honda Accord.

The crimes began March 27, with the most recent attack occuring on April 28.

Police were able to identify and apprehend the man with the help of eyewitness photos and cell phone footage of the incidents, CHP Officer Edgar Figueroa said.

Kleaven was booked at the Long Beach Police Department (LBPD), where he is currently being held on $160,000 bail.

City News Service contributed to this story.



Share this:


NEVER MISS A STORY