Man Sentenced to Prison for 2014 Explosion Caused by Cooking Marijuana Oil

File photo. 

A man was sentenced to two years in prison Wednesday for causing a fire at his Long Beach home after cooking marijuana oil, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

On March 17, 2014, Sean Paul McErlane, 40, was cooking Butane Honey Oil (BHO) to sell to dispensaries before he left his rented home near 4th Street and Dawson Avenue, and went to a nearby bar, prosecutors said.

At the bar, McErlane heard a boom and realized his home was on fire. He immediately returned to save his dog and severely burned his hand in the process, according to prosecutors.

He was charged on June 25, 2014 following the District Attorney’s investigation, a release issued today said.

Last Wednesday, May 26, he pleaded no contest to one felony count of recklessly causing fire to an inhabited structure.

BHO, which is also known as hash oil, wax, shatter, crumble, dabs or budder, is consumed by methods such as smoking, ingestion, or vaporization. Users prefer BHO due to the high concentration of THC that it contains. 



Share this:


NEVER MISS A STORY