A Los Angeles man is due back in court Tuesday after being charged for murder in connection with the shooting death of a Long Beach resident in December, authorities said.
Keonte Jones, 23, was already in custody when Long Beach Police Department (LBPD) detectives presented the murder case to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office on January 22, a release stated.
Through an investigation, homicide detectives identified Jones as the person responsible for the shooting death of 34-year-old Roosevelt Newton, who died a day after the suspect allegedly approached the victim, fired at him and then fled on December 10.
Long Beach police previously arrested Jones in connection with an armed carjacking that led to a police pursuit on January 16.
Authorities said police initiated the pursuit of a vehicle for an armed carjacking that took place in Los Angeles. The pursuit ended on the 1400 block of Orange Avenue after the vehicle was involved in a collision. Jones then fled from the vehicle on foot but was eventually taken into custody without further incident by officers who chased him down.
The second suspect who remained in the vehicle was also taken into custody.
Jones was charged with one count of reckless driving with a gang enhancement in the carjacking case, LBPD spokeswoman Marlene Arrona said.
Jones is being held at Men’s Central Jail on $4 million bail. He was arraigned on January 27 and has a court appearance scheduled for Tuesday, February 16.