Image courtesy of Long Beach Airport.
Long Beach Airport (LGB) has recently enhanced its roadways and pedestrian crossing in front of the historic terminal in an effort to improve customers’ travel experience, just in time for the holidays, according to city officials.
“The Long Beach Airport is the most convenient and easy to navigate airport in Southern California,” Mayor Robert Garcia said, in a statement. “These improvements ensure that residents and visitors will continue to have a welcoming gateway to Long Beach and the region.”
Drivers picking up or dropping off travelers at the airport will also see improvements to the loading area, with an added lane now directly in front of the terminal. Now three lanes total allow one lane for loading and two lanes for vehicles to drive through.
The center median now provides more room for travelers to wait to be picked up, while safety has been improved with a raised crosswalk that will help reduce the speed of vehicles in front of the terminal building, according to city officials.
“We continually strive to provide a safe and convenient travel experience for our customers,” said Airport Director Jess L. Romo, A.A.E. in a statement. “We are happy to announce these improvements, which will make that experience even better for travelers.”
Travelers are still encouraged to take all the necessary steps to ensure their holiday travels go smoothly by arriving early, checking baggage rules ahead of time and confirming flight schedules on their airline’s website or app. The free LGB Airport app is also available to download on Apple or Android devices and shows information on arrivals, departures, parking, shopping, dining and more.
Beginning the week after Thanksgiving, the holiday season is celebrated at #MerryLGB with decorations and lights throughout the airport, including a Christmas tree, Hanukkah menorah and Kwanzaa table displayed in the Meeter Greeter Plaza.
Read below for tips on how to travel throughout the holidays, courtesy of LGB:
- Arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes prior to departure to ensure adequate time to get through security.
- Mother’s Rooms equipped to accommodate breastfeeding mothers are available in the historic terminal and in the south concourse.
- Guide and service dogs, emotional support animals, and other traveling pets are welcome at the airport. Relief areas are available north and south of the historic terminal.
- Self-parking is available in Lots A and B at a rate of $2 an hour with a maximum of $19 per day in Lot A, and $17 in Lot B.
- Electric vehicle charging is available in Lot B at a rate of $1 an hour for members and $2 an hour for guests.
- Curbside valet parking is available for $24 a day and includes a free car wash.
- Drivers picking up passengers are encouraged to use the free Cell Phone Waiting Lot, located at 3402 North Lakewood Boulevard.
LGB is located at 4100 Donald Douglas Drive.