Photographers of all levels can show their talents while also showing their Long Beach pride this weekend during Justin Rudd’s annual Say Cheese Long Beach contest.
The seventh annual contest presented by Rudd and his non-profit Community Action Team invites amateur and professional photographers to take photos of what Long Beach means to them.
“Anyone can enter,” Rudd said in a statement. “Just start snapping digital photos during the dates/times of whatever and whomever you like during the day and/or night.”
Rudd said photos may include, but are not limited to, home life, work, religious events, secular happenings, nature/landscape, indoor life, outdoor decorations, pets, humor, drama, action, friends, family, city life, beach life or a historical places.
Winning photos will be chosen based on theme, photographic excellence, capturing a moment, visual impact and artistic quality.
The contest will take place from noon Saturday until noon Sunday, when entrants must upload their images to justinrudd.com/photocontest.html.
Winners will be announced Oct. 18 during the Belmont Shore Sidewalk Chalk Art Contest and Art Walk. The photographers of the top 20 images will each receive $50, provided by the Long Beach Turkey Trot.
The rules of the contest are as follows:
- Photographers can take home more than one prize, and a total of $1,000 will be awarded.
- Photographers do NOT have to live in Long Beach.
- Photographers do NOT have to attend the exhibit/reception.
- Images from drones and phones are welcome.
- Copyright of an entry remains the property of the photographer.
- All photos must be taken within the city limits of Long Beach. There are a few exceptions that are permissible: photos of Long Beach from sea, air, or from an adjoining city; and photos of kite surfing, sailing, boating etc. in the waters off of Long Beach.
- Photos must be uploaded by Monday, September 8 at noon.
- Please label photos as “LastName_FirstName_Photo1”, “LastName_FirstName_ Photo2”, etc. before uploading them.
- Photos can only be uploaded as a JPEG file, between 600×900 pixels and 4000 x 3000 pixels. You can shoot in raw, high dynamic range (HDR) or shoot bigger files, but submit as JPEG within size limits listed here.
- All images chosen for the exhibit will be printed in 4×6 and judges will only see the 4×6.
- MINIMAL, basic processing, manipulation and/or enhancement and high dynamic range (HDR) are allowed. NOTE: the contest is about the photo and not one’s ability to operate iPhoto, Photoshop, Lightroom or other photo manipulation software.
For more information, visit the “Say Cheese Long Beach” Facebook page.