It appears the average Long Beach resident doesn’t have far to go for a cheaper than average flight, compared to other locations in the US.
In fact, Long Beach Airport was named the most affordable airport in the US this year by the seventh annual Airport Affordability Index, compiled by Cheapflights.com, the city announced today.
The website conducts the annual survey based on search data created by travelers tracking the “average airfare Cheapflights.com users found during the month of June to a common list of popular domestic and international destinations and compares it to the previous year’s ranking,” according to the website.
Long Beach gained its top spot this year, with an average airfare price of $202, just above last year’s “cheapest airport,” Dallas/Fort Worth, which had an average airfare price of $203.
“It’s great to hear that Long Beach Airport has regained the No. 1 spot for affordability,” said Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia in a statement. “Long Beach is the gateway to Southern California, and having the most affordable airport in the country is an incredible economic asset for our city.”
The Long Beach Airport was ranked as the seventh-most affordable airport in the country last year, but has been ranked as the most affordable airport twice in the history of the survey, including 2011.
“The Cheapflights.com survey shows why it is so important to comparison shop when searching for airfare,” said Interim Airport Director Juan López-Rios in a statement. “Travelers are currently enjoying some of the best prices in recent history for airfare, which is why it is such a bonus for Long Beach Airport to be at the top of the list for affordability.”
The top 10 cheapest airports in the U.S., according to Cheapflights.com, were as follows:
- Long Beach Airport (LGB), California | Average Airfare of $202 | Ranked 7th in 2015
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Texas | Average Airfare of $203 | Ranked 29th in 2015
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA), New York | Average Airfare of $215 | Ranked 4th in 2015
- General Mitchell International (MKE), Wisconsin | Average Airfare of $230 | Ranked 66th in 2015
- Minneapolis-St. Paul International (MSP), Minnesota | Average Airfare of $237 | Ranked 22nd in 2015
- Denver International (DEN), CO | Average Airfare of $242 | Ranked 13th in 2015
- Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International (FLL), Florida | Average Airfare of $245 | Ranked 17th in 2015
- Chicago-O’Hare International (ORD), Illinois | Average Airfare of $246 | Ranked 5th in 2015
- Atlanta International (ATL), Georgia | Average Airfare of $249 | Ranked 2nd in 2015
- Philadelphia International (PHL), Pennsylvania | Average Airfare of $253 | Ranked 6th in 2015