Long Beach Airport’s main commercial runway (12-30) will be closed during specific hours over an eight-day period beginning Monday, May 14 to repair some critical areas, airport officials announced this week.
As a result of this closure, neighborhoods near the airport may notice a change in aircraft flight activity.
The need for this rehabilitation project was identified during a recent Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) annual inspection and has since been monitored, LGB officials said.
Airport engineering staff have determined it is important to start on these repairs now, as runway fitness is one of LGB’s obligations as a FAR Part 139 airport and as required by FAA Grant Assurances to maintain.
The closure schedule will be as follows:
- Monday, May 14 at 10:00PM to Tuesday, May 15 at 2:00PM.
- Tuesday, May 15 at 10:00PM to Wednesday, May 16 at 2:00PM.
- Wednesday, May 16 at 10:00PM to Thursday, May 17 at 2:00PM.
- Thursday, May 17 at 10:00PM to Friday, May 18 at 2:00PM.
Runway open from Friday, May 18 at 2:00PM. – Monday, May 21 at 10:00PM.
- Monday, May 21 at 10:00PM to Tuesday, May 22 at 2:00PM.
- Tuesday, May 22 at 10:00PM to Wednesday, May 23 at 2:00PM.
- Wednesday, May 23 at 10:00PM to Thursday, May 24 at 2:00PM.
- Thursday, May 24 at 10:00PM to Friday, May 25 at 2:00PM.
For a map showing current flight paths and temporary changes during the construction period click here.
Support our journalism.
It’s been one year since the Long Beach Post began asking you, our readers, to contribute to keeping local journalism alive in the city.
Thousands have contributed over the past year giving an average contribution of $12.39 a month.
Please consider what the news and information you get every day from the Post means to you, and start a recurring monthly contribution now. READ MORE.