Today, Port of Long Beach (POLB) CEO of little more than two years Jon Slangerup announced his resignation, effective October 28.
Slangerup’s resignation comes after accepting a position as chairman and CEO of an aviation technology firm, a job he will begin on October 31, 2016, according to a release issued today. He was known for his upbeat energy and composure in the midst of the 2015 congestion that impacted the San Pedro Bay port complex and the national goods movement network, making national headlines.
“I wish to thank the Board of Harbor Commissioners for the opportunity I’ve had to lead the Port of Long Beach and our exceptional team of managers and professionals,” said Slangerup in a statement. “The experience of helping guide the Port through our industry’s swiftly changing and often uncharted waters has been both an exciting challenge and a great honor. I am exceedingly proud of the work we’ve accomplished together over the past two years in driving forward our vision for the Green Port of the Future.”
Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia called Slangerup an “outstanding” leader who improved efficiency and reduced emissions and congestion at theport.
“He has fostered an excellent working relationship between the Harbor Department and City Hall, as well as with the community, and played an instrumental role in bringing the new Port headquarters to the new Civic Center complex,” said Garcia in a statement. “Jon will be missed, and I personally developed a great working relationship and a friendship. On behalf of the city, I wish him the best in his next endeavors, and we are very grateful for his contributions over the past two years."
Notably, during the congestion of 2015, Slangerup met with all stakeholders at the local, state and federal levels, to restore operations in a fraction of the time expected, according to the port’s release. In July of 2015, the port experienced the cargo movement record of the century and capped off the year with the strongest port performance since the Great Recession. Slangerup also oversaw the port’s $4 billion, 10-year capital improvement plan that includes the replacement for the Gerald Desmond Bridge.
"For the last two years, we have been lucky to have Jon Slangerup at the helm of the Port of Long Beach. Despite his relatively short tenure, he leaves behind an impressive legacy—guiding the port through last year’s congestion crisis and ushering in this year’s rapid recovery," said Congresswoman Janice Hahn in a statement. "He oversaw implementation of innovative new projects and now leaves the port greener and even more than resilient. Like me, he always said he wouldn’t be happy until the Port of Long Beach was a zero emissions port. I want to thank him for his efforts and wish him continued success in his next venture."
The Board of Commissioners will begin a search to fill the vacant CEO position, according to the release.
“Jon has brought tremendous leadership, creativity and executive experience to the Port,” said Board of Harbor Commissioners President Lori Ann Guzmán in a statement. “His innovative vision and ability to lead in times of change and growth have made a marked difference in the history of our beloved Port. I and my fellow commissioners wish Jon continued success in his new role.”
Above, left: Photo courtesy of the Port of Long Beach.
This report was updated on 09/09/16 at 9:42AM with a statement from Janice Hahn.