The Long Beach Post, a daily digital publication with the largest newsroom in southern Los Angeles County, is looking for a dedicated editor and newsroom leader who can oversee our emerging Arts & Culture vertical and work with our editorial, product and business teams to shape and expand coverage of the creative and cultural communities in one of the most diverse large cities in the country.
The ideal candidate will be a proactive leader with strong journalism fundamentals, a respect for analytics, equal passion for visual and textual storytelling, and the ability to find and assign sharp angles for multimedia packages that explain what’s going on and why it matters on a wide range of topics, from art news to food to music. You see the symphony and the dive bar as possessing equal cultural value and are able to work under deadline in a fast-paced daily news environment to tell the stories needed to inform, engage and connect the people of Long Beach. Bonus points if you’ve helped other publications use arts coverage to strengthen strategy and revenue growth initiatives.
Most importantly, you have a understanding of the city of Long Beach and its place not only in Southern California, but in the global landscape. We are looking for someone who is passionate about becoming a part of the community they are covering and excited to be part of a growing team that is helping build a sustainable model for local digital journalism.
- Manage all aspects of the arts and culture vertical at LBPost.com, including but not limited to overseeing daily spot and enterprising coverage of performing arts, music, food, cannabis and more.
- Oversee full-time staff writers by assigning, shaping and editing all coverage of arts and culture in the city of Long Beach
- Generate and develop story ideas that will grow a loyal digital audience and create community in Long Beach
- Break arts and culture stories
- Execute engaging social media posting of arts & culture content
- Assist with production of daily e-alert
- Grow the Post’s digital audience through targeted coverage and creative uses of social media
- Review data analytics from website and social media accounts and develop strategy for the section
- Cultivate relationships with local arts reporters
- Working with other editors to cultivate and coordinate appropriate content from freelancers and staffers
- Assist other editors (including news) with coverage and reporting as needed
- Cultivate sources across the Long Beach arts and culture community
- Represent the Long Beach Post at public functions
Required Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- At least 3 years relevant reporting or editing experience in the area of arts, entertainment or culture
- At least 3 years experience managing a team of writers
- At least 1 year working in a digital/engagement reporting capacity at another news organization
- Demonstrated ability to write news on tight deadline and conduct enterprise reporting
- Professional and engaging social media presence
- Ability to report, evaluate and integrate information quickly
- Multimedia storytelling experience
- Proficiency with Adobe programs, especially Photoshop, Spark and/or Premiere
- Content management with basic knowledge of HTML/CSS
The at-will position offers a competitive salary, full benefits, eligibility for a 401(k) plan with a four-percent employer match after six months of continuous employment, along with other employee benefits. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, writing samples and references to Managing Editor Melissa Evans at [email protected].