The Long Beach Post, a daily digital publication covering the second-largest city in Los Angeles County, is hiring an Audience Engagement Manager to lead our social media strategy, analytics assessment and digital readership efforts across our growing organization.
Working across the editorial and business development sides of the Post, the ideal candidate will be a proactive leader with strong journalism fundamentals, solid news judgment, a love for seeing the story behind the numbers and an eye towards the future of local media. You will work closely with our expanding editorial, product and advertising/business development teams to help identify and execute new ways to digitally present our reporting across multiple platforms and engage with our community while expanding our readership and supporting revenue growth initiatives.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Track analytics across all website and social media platforms and report effectiveness of content and campaigns to editors, publisher and advertising.
- Use analytics to determine and shape best digital practices specific to the Long Beach Post’s unique content and audience.
- Develop and guide content around news events across multiple platforms by collaborating with editors, reporters on the digital team and throughout the entire newsroom.
- Facilitate audience engagement opportunities for LBPOST.com and across our social media pages, including editing, posting and optimizing stories, photos, graphics, video, audio and story-sourcing elements.
- Ensure all content is optimized for organic search and mentor staff on SEO best practices.
- Work with editors and reporters to identify and develop web-based storytelling methods and elements.
- Advise advertising staff on branding, circulation, advertising, and event efforts.
- Stay abreast of emerging digital news trends and determine which ones are most appropriate for the Long Beach Post.
- Provide training and mentorship to editors and reporters so they can properly execute strategy and best digital practices
- Must be able to work early morning, night, and weekend hours as deadlines may demand.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, interactive media, digital strategy or equivalent experience.
- At least 2 years of digital journalism and social media experience at a news organization that generates content under tight deadlines.
- At least one year of experience with analytics and business strategy.
- Intimate knowledge of mainstream and other growing social platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.
- Familiarity with latest trends for successful audience engagement and readership growth.
- Knowledge of WordPress and Google Analytics.
- Proficiency with HTML (Java and other light coding experience preferred)
- Willingness to experiment, take chances and
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-volume, deadline-driven work environment.
The at-will position offers a competitive salary, full benefits, eligibility for a 401(k) plan with a four-percent employer match after six months of continuous employment, along with other employee benefits. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, examples of social media efforts or audience engagement initiatives, and references to Publisher David Sommers via email at [email protected].