Starting Sunday, August 6, His Little Feet (HLF), a nonprofit whose mission is to provide children in need with properly fitted shoes, will host its third annual Citywide Back to School Shoe Drive throughout Long Beach.
The goal is to collect at least 1,000 pairs of new girls and boys tennis shoes in size 10t to 11 that they can wear confidently to school, and to continue “stomping out poverty in our community one pair of shoes at a time.”
“Over 5,000 families currently live in motels and cars because of unfortunate circumstances in their lives,” stated the release. “We believe all children deserve to have comfortable feet and should start school in new shoes like the rest of the students!”
Kids at seven schools within the Long Beach Unified School District, and at two schools in Santa Ana, will receive shoes from HLF, which serves students from preschool through 12th grade.
Participants are asked to pick up a new pair of shoes from a department store such as Sears or Ross and drop them in the collection bin nearest to them (see locations below). Gently used shoes can be dropped off, as well. Donations can be made through August 22.
- Parkcrest Christian Church - 3936 Woodruff Ave, Long Beach, CA 90808
- Angel Connection - 4401 Atlantic Ave #405, Long Beach, CA 90807
- Knock Knock Gifts and Toys - 219 Main St, Seal Beach, CA 90740
- Sun Newspaper - 216 Main St, Seal Beach, CA 90740
- Belmont Athletic Club - 4918 E 2nd St, Long Beach, CA 90803
- Cariloha - 21016 Pacific Coast Hwy, Huntington Beach, CA 92648
- Tenni-Moc’s Shoe Store - 6502 E Spring St, Long Beach, CA 90815
- Casey Family - 4619 Whitewood Ave, Long Beach, CA 90808
- Wicka Family - 3069 Roxanne Ave, Long Beach, CA 90808
- The Parlor Hair Boutique - 307 Main St, Seal Beach, CA 90740
- Blue Moon Boutique - 5256 Lampson Ave, Garden Grove CA 92845