A new collaborative project in downtown Long Beach will enable local artists to show their work in a professional gallery setting.
My Art Show, an upcoming exhibit at MADE by Millworks, will be an accumulation of pieces submitted by artists from April 4 – 27, with the exhibit itself running April 6-29. A reception is scheduled for Saturday, April 28. Artwork may be submitted during this time, resulting in an eclectic exhibition representing Long Beach’s creative community.
“Our feeling is that everyone is an artist,” said MADE by Millworks General Manager Heather Kern in a statement. “Some of us create things here and there and others create daily, and MADE is giving everyone an opportunity to show off their work. We’re excited to see how the exhibit will evolve as the days and weeks go by leading up to the reception.”
Kern stated the idea behind the project involved wanting to showcase the diverse local creativity, from established to underrepresented artists.
The rules of the exhibit are as follows:
- Anyone residing within 20 miles of Long Beach can bring in ONE piece for display
- Must be an original piece of art
- Two-dimensional pieces must be no larger than 24” x 36” and ready to hang (outfitted with hook, wire, etc.)
- Three-dimensional pieces must be self-standing for ledge display and no larger than 12” x 12” x 12”
- Pieces must remain at MADE until the end of the exhibit and may be priced for sale (MADE requires a 40 percent commission)
- Name of artist must be on the back of the piece
- Artist must check in with MADE staff when dropping off art
- All pieces are subject to non-acceptance for any reason
MADE by Millworks is a gift shop and art gallery supporting local artisans and artists. All merchandise is made or designed within 20 miles of the store.
A public reception will take place Saturday, April 28 from 6:00PM to 9:00PM. Some of the artwork will be for sale. For more information, visit the website here or call MADE by Millworks at (562) 584-6233.
MADE by Millworks is located at 240 Pine Avenue.