The measles outbreak that state health officials traced to Disneyland, which affected 131 California residents, two of which were diagnosed in Long Beach, was declared over on Friday.
“We are pleased this outbreak is over, but caution that measles can be reintroduced in California at any time when an infected person brings it to the state,” said state health officer Dr. Karen Smith, director of the California Department of Public Health, in a statement. “The best defense for protection against the highly infectious measles is vaccination.”
The last case of measles was confirmed March 2, prompting health officials to set today as the date for the outbreak to be considered over, if no new cases are reported. Since February 27, three new cases were reported in the state. The most recent case was out of Los Angeles County, bringing the total there to 28, with two in Long Beach and four in Pasadena.
Of the California cases, 40 were traced back to visitors or workers at Disneyland between December 17 to 20, according to the state. In 30 cases, measles was passed on from someone in the house or another close relation, officials said. 11 people contracted the disease in a community setting, such as an emergency room. State officials said this morning that of the patients the state has vaccination records for, 56 did not get shots and 25 had one or more doses of the MMR vaccine.
There were 644 measles cases in 27 states, the most since measles was declared eliminated in the United States in 2000, according to the CDC. In most cases, the victims were unvaccinated, according to the CDC. Scientists say the measles virus in this outbreak matches one in the Philippines last year.
City News Service contributed to this report.