The Long Beach Unified School District (LBUSD) Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) will provide free lunches to children at 39 different locations, from June 19 through August 25.
This is the third year LBUSD has sponsored the SFSP, a program funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to ensure that low-income children continue receiving nutritious meals when schools are out of session.
“[...] We want to make sure that the students do have good, complete nutrition and an opportunity to have a good wholesome meal,” Darlene Martin, nutrition services director at LBUSD, said in an interview last year regarding the district’s spring break food program.
The district will offer open sites, which are available to all children, and closed-enrolled sites, where priority will be given to the children enrolled in the school district's WRAP after-school program. However, any students may attend pending availability of space, according to the announcement.
Date and times vary depending on location.
Open sites are:
- Avalon School: 200 Falls Canyon Road, Avalon | June 26 to July 28, 10:45AM to 11:00AM
- Buffum Elementary: 2350 Ximeno Avenue, Long Beach | July 3 to July 28, 11:20AM to 11:40AM
- Cabrillo High School: 2001 Santa Fe Avenue, Long Beach | June 26 to July 28, 10:35AM to 10:55AM
- Jordan High School:* 6500 Atlantic Avenue, Long Beach | 6/26 to July 28, 10:35AM to 10:55AM
- Lakewood High School: 4400 Briercrest Avenue, Lakewood | June 26 to July 28, 10:35AM to 10:55AM
- Poly High School: 1600 Atlantic Avenue, Long Beach | June 26 to July 28, 10:35AM to 10:55AM
- Wilson High School: 4400 East 10th Street, Long Beach | June 26 to July 28, 10:35AM to 10:55AM
*The entrance to Jordan High School will be on Myrtle Avenue.
Closed sites include:
- Addams Elementary: 5320 Pine Avenue, Long Beach | July 31 to August 18, 11:30AM to noon
- Birney Elementary: 710 West Spring Street, Long Beach | June 19 to August 10, noon to 12:30PM
- Bryant Elementary: 4101 East Fountain Street, Long Beach | June 19 to August 10, 11:45AM to 12:15PM
- Burbank Elementary: 501 Junipero Avenue Long Beach | 7/27 to 8/25/17 Noon to 12:30 p.m
- CSU Long Beach: 1250 Bellflower Boulevard, Long Beach | June 19 to June 23 & July 25 to August 5, 11:00AM to 11:40AM
- Dooley Elementary: 5075 Long Beach Boulevard, Long Beach | July 3 to August 24, 10:05AM to 10:20AM
- Edison Elementary: 625 Maine Avenue, Long Beach July 31 to August 25, 11:30AM to noon
- Garfield Elementary: 2240 Baltic Avenue, Long Beach | June 26 to August 18, 11:30AM to noon
The free lunches are available to children ages one to 18. All locations will be closed on Tuesday, July 4.
For the continued list of closed sites, click here.