Family, Friends of Long Beach Man Killed by Police Rally, Call for Investigation

Family and friends of a Long Beach man killed by police late last month held a rally in the city’s Cambodia Town corridor Saturday morning calling for an investigation into his death. 
LBPD spokeswoman Marlene Arrona said the protest was held without incident.

Story continued below.

Dozens of people gathered outside Mark Twain Neighborhood Library Saturday, July 16, followed by a march down Anaheim Street, until they reached the site where Barry Prak was killed during a confrontation with Long Beach police the morning of June 28.


We out here making a difference #justiceforbarry

A photo posted by Beastie (@elite.mey) on Jul 16, 2016 at 11:36am PDT

Supporters ended the demonstration with a memorial featuring the release of white balloons into the air. 


Love for #barryprak

A video posted by Beastie (@elite.mey) on Jul 16, 2016 at 12:02pm PDT


Prak was shot by officers attempting to arrest him near 15th Street and Temple Avenue, in connection with a 2014 gang-related shooting that left multiple people injured, according to the Long Beach Police Department (LBPD).

Authorities said police fired at the Prak when he charged at them with a knife in hand. The incident also resulted in the friendly-fire death of a police dog, who was deployed during the struggle to detain Prak.

He was transported to a local hospital, where later he was pronounced dead. The police dog, K-9 Credo, also later died.


Although the demonstration honored Prak’s life, protestors sent an overall message calling for people to come together and take a stand against police brutality, according to various protestors’ social media accounts.

Some protesters held signs that read “#All Lives Matter!”, while others held up the names of others recently killed by police officers throughout the country.

The parents of Lionel Gibson, another Long Beach man fatally shot by police on May 8, were present, according to an attendee.


Gibson allegedly did not comply with police orders and instead reached for a gun at his waistband, authorities said. Officers then shot and killed him. An airsoft replica, originally thought to be an assault rifle, was found at the scene.

A petition on, that has garnered just over 700 signatures of a requested 1,000 calls for Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey to investigate Prak’s death.

Share this: