Photo courtesy of Long Beach Playhouse.
Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest is heading to the Long Beach Playhouse this weekend, giving the play a twist with an all-female cast that sheds light to gender stereotypes.
The play, directed by Phie Mura, follows two bachelors in love with two ladies who believe each man is named Ernest, giving way to a case of mistaken identity and elaborate deception by the men in their attempt to win over the women. At the same time, the bachelors must deal with a young lady who starts investigating their far-fetched truth.
“This classic satire is brought to new life in this all-woman production, as the female sensibilities of the performers bring new light to the gender stereotypes so crucial to the convoluted machinations of this comedy of manners,” according to the playhouse.
Performances will run from September 3 to October 1, 2016.
The cast, a mix of newcomers and playhouse veterans, includes:
- Fiona Austin (ALGERNON MONCRIEFF)
- Alyssa Garcia (LANE/MERRIMAN)
- Deva Marie Gregory (JOHN WORTHING, JD)
- Jazmine Ramay (HON. GWENDOLEN FAIRFAX)
- Gaelyn Wilkie (LADY BRACKNELL)
- Amara Phelps (CECILY CARDEW)
- Loren Bowen (MISS PRISM)
- Lisa March (REV. CANON CHASUBLE, DD)
Special play events include:
- "Pay what you can" Thursday Sept. 1- community can see this production for whatever they can afford
- "Two for One Preview" Friday Sept. 2 - Tickets are $12
- "Opening Night Champagne Reception with cast" on Sept. 3 - Tickets are $27
Ticket prices on Fridays are $20 for adults, $18 for seniors and $14 for students. Ticket prices on Saturdays and Sundays are $24 for adults, $21 for seniors and $14 for students.
Tickets are available at www.lbplayhouse.org, or by calling 562.494.1014, option 1.
Long Beach Playhouse is located at 5021 East Anaheim Street, across from the Long Beach Recreation golf course.
Performances are 8 p.m. Friday, and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. The box office is open Wednesday-Saturday from 3:00-8:00 pm and Sundays from 1:00-2:00 pm on scheduled matinees.