A 20-year-old man was sentenced to eight years in prison Thursday for sexually assaulting several women in two incidents that occurred late last year, the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office announced yesterday.
District Attorney Prosecutor Lee Cernok said Miguel Avila of Long Beach was arrested on November 17 after sexually assaulting several women and negotiated a plea agreement, pleading no contest to two felony counts of assault with intent to commit a felony.
“There were a total of four separate strikes, and he took a plea deal for two strikes,” Cernok said.
Avila is also required to register as a sex offender for life.
The incidents took place in a span of two weeks in November 2014, involving three women in Long Beach on Orange Ave., between Third and Fourth St.
According to a statement issued by the district attorney’s office Thursday, in the first incident, a 23-year-old woman was walking with a friend when Avila ran toward her, “head-butted her, and then pressed himself up against her.”
The statement said the victim later “punched the defendant, at which point he ran away.”
In the second incident, the release said a 30-year-old woman was also walking with a friend when Avila “grabbed her from behind, pushed her to the ground and tried to take off her underwear.”
As her friend pushed Avila off of the victim, Avila stood up and exposed his genitals to the females before running away, the statement said.
Cernok said Avila was on parole with GPS monitoring based on a prior conviction at the time, which assisted the Long Beach Police Department’s (LBPD) investigation and quick arrest of the defendant.
She commended the Long Beach Police Department (LBPD) for their “diligence” in the investigation, as well as the victims’ courage.
“They were very brave,” Cernok said. “They came forward right away.”