Reward Renewed Again For Information on Suspects in July Drive-By Shooting

The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors renewed a $10,000 reward today for information leading to whoever was involved in the July killing of Olataga Filemoni.

The reward was originally slated to expire on May 16, but the LA County Board of Supervisors extended the reward per Supervisor Don Knabeā€™s recommendation to try to persuade reluctant witnesses to come forward. The Long Beach Police Department (LBPD) previously extended the reward on October 28.  

LBPD officers responded to the scene in the 3200 block of Baltic Avenue on July 25 just before 11PM to find 25-year-old Olataga Filemoni of Long Beach suffering from several gunshot wounds as a result of a drive-by shooting.

Long Beach Fire Department (LBFD) paramedics rushed Filemoni to a local hospital, where he died after an emergency surgery on July 28.

An investigation found that Filemoni was in front of his house talking with friends when a car they did not recognize stopped in front of the house. The car's occupants began yelling a gang phrase toward Filemoni and his friends, even though none of them were gang-affiliated, police said.

As the gang phrase was being shouted, gunshots were fired from inside the car at Filemoni and his friends, police said.

One of Filemoni's friends described the car as a small compact. No one has come forward to provide a description of the suspect(s).

Detectives believe the cause of the shooting may have been a case of mistaken identity.

Anyone with information about Filemoni's desk is urged to call Long Beach police detectives Greg Krabbe or Mark McGuire at 562-570-7244. Anonymous tips may also be submitted by calling 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), texting TIPLA plus the tip to CRIMES (274637) or visiting www.lacrimestoppers.org.



Share this:


NEVER MISS A STORY