A Google Maps screenshot.
Five Long Beach establishments were cited over the weekend for selling tobacco products to minors during a sting operation conducted by detectives, authorities said.
The tobacco decoy operation was conducted by detectives with the Long Beach Police Department’s (LBPD) Juvenile Investigations Section on Saturday, March 12, according to the LBPD’s Facebook page.
As part of the operation, minors requested to buy a tobacco product from a North Division establishment, police said.
“If an employee sold to the minor, a misdemeanor citation was issued, if not, a letter thanking the business for its compliance was provided,” officials stated.
Detectives checked 24 establishments, five of which sold tobacco to minors.
The businesses were:
- M&J Liquor on the 5300 block of Long Beach Boulevard
- Liquor Mill on the 5400 block of Long Beach Boulevard
- Valero Gas on the 5500 Long Beach Boulevard
- ARS Tobacco on the 5400 block Atlantic Avenue
- Corked on the 4100 block Atlantic Avenue
“Thank you to all Long Beach businesses that regularly check identification prior to making any tobacco related sales, your compliance is appreciated,” LBPD officials stated.