An Oceanside man convicted of kidnapping and murdering a 3-week-old Long Beach girl whose body was found in a San Diego County trash bin and trying to kill the baby’s parents and uncle, along with a separate attack on a woman in an El Segundo hotel room, was sentenced today to nearly 142 years to life in state prison.
Anthony Ray McCall, 32, was found guilty on March 2 of one count each of first-degree murder, kidnapping and attempted kidnapping, along with four counts of attempted murder. A Long Beach jury deliberated less than three hours before returning the verdict against the defendant, whose attorney had claimed his client “was set up to take the fall for crimes he didn’t commit.”
Co-defendant Giseleangelique Rene D’Milian pleaded no contest January 5 to one count of first-degree murder for the January 2015 killing of Eliza De La Cruz, along with two counts of attempted murder involving the baby’s father and uncle. The 50-year-old Thousand Oaks woman was immediately sentenced to 25 years to life in state prison.
In sentencing McCall, Judge Judith L. Meyer called it “a tragic situation.” She said she was most appalled by wiretap evidence presented during the trial involving a phone call between the defendant and another accomplice, in which McCall said he “did it out of the sheer kindness of my heart.” The judge said she didn’t know how anyone could say such a thing regarding a baby.
Barnes said the primary victims decided against making statements at the defendant’s sentencing, deciding it was too emotional for them to come to court.
But the victim of the El Segundo attack, Hannah Salazar, addressed the court.
“I don’t know why this happened to me,” she said in an emotional statement. “I do forgive him, but only God judges.”
The judge also read a letter from McCall’s mother before imposing the sentence, saying, “A mother’s love is always appreciated by this court.”
The mother, father and uncle of the 3-week-old girl did testify during the trial.
PREVIOUSLY: Man Convicted of Kidnapping, Killing Long Beach Infant
3/5/18 at 2:07PM | An Oceanside man was convicted Friday of kidnapping and murdering a 3-week-old Long Beach girl whose body was found in a San Diego County trash bin and trying to kill the baby’s parents and uncle, along with a separate attack on a woman in an El Segundo hotel room.
Jurors deliberated less than three hours before finding Anthony Ray McCall, 32, guilty of one count each of first-degree murder, kidnapping and attempted kidnapping, along with four counts of attempted murder.
McCall—whose attorney claimed had been “framed”—is facing multiple life prison terms, with sentencing set for March 19.
Co-defendant Giseleangelique Rene D’Milian, who had been charged along with McCall, pleaded no contest January 5 to one count of first-degree murder for the January 2015 killing of Eliza De La Cruz, along with two counts of attempted murder involving the girl’s father and uncle. The 50-year-old Thousand Oaks woman was immediately sentenced to 25 years to life in state prison.
In her opening statement Monday in McCall’s trial, Deputy District Attorney Cynthia Barnes told jurors that D’Milian needed to obtain a newborn child after falsely telling a boyfriend she had been pregnant with twins, so she followed the 3-week-old girl and her mother, Jacqueline Honorato, home from a bus stop.
The prosecutor said McCall—a close friend and associate of D’Milian—took the baby from her mother’s arms and shot Honorato and the baby’s father and uncle on January 3, 2015, with a gun using silencers made from potatoes with holes carved into them.
The baby’s kidnapping was “all over the news,” and the next day the baby was found thrown away “like trash” in a plastic trash bag that had been left in a trash bin in Imperial Beach, along with items on which McCall’s DNA was found, including the knot on the top of the trash bag, Barnes told jurors. The baby had died of asphyxiation, according to the prosecutor.
“The evidence will show you the defendant did not stop there because D’Milian still needed a baby,” Barnes said, telling jurors that the mother of another infant was lured to a hotel room in El Segundo on February 6, 2015, in an effort to kidnap her baby.
That woman screamed for help while being beaten with a baseball bat and other hotel guests notified the front desk, with police being summoned to the hotel, the prosecutor said.
McCall’s attorney, Rodney Buck, told jurors in his opening statement that the prosecution’s presentation made it seem like the case was a slam dunk. But he said the evidence would show that “Mr. McCall was framed.”
“He was set up to take the fall for crimes he didn’t commit,” the defense lawyer said, telling jurors that he believed they would have reasonable doubt by the end of the case.
Among the first witnesses called to the stand by the prosecution were the mother, father and uncle of the 3-week-old girl.
In emotional testimony on Monday, the girl’s mother said she pleaded with her assailant not to take the baby from her.
“I couldn’t do anything to stop him,” Honorato said, noting that she unsuccessfully tried to chase him.
She said she could hear the voice of a woman telling the baby, “I’m your new mommy.” She said the voice was the same as the woman who had approached her that afternoon, asked her how old the baby was and offered her a ride home, which she declined.
“Did you ever see her (Eliza) again?” the prosecutor asked.
“No,” the woman said, crying.
She testified that she identified a photo of McCall when police showed her photos of him and five other men a couple of months later, citing “his eyes.” Under cross-examination, she said she didn’t remember saying whether her assailant had a neck tattoo and said she didn’t see a tattoo on McCall’s neck in court.
The baby’s father, Eddy De La Cruz, said he was shot in a leg and he only saw his daughter one last time when he was shown a photo of her by police trying to identify her.
“Was she alive or dead?” the prosecutor asked.
“She was dead,” the baby’s father responded.
McCall and D’Milian were arrested in March 2015 by Long Beach police, who said then that police detectives had reviewed extensive video surveillance footage and determined that a black Range Rover had followed the mother and baby before the shooting that day. Detectives also learned that their counterparts in El Segundo were investigating the attack on the mother of a 4-
month-old boy, Long Beach police said.
A third defendant, Todd Damon Boudreaux, 46, pleaded guilty in October 2016 to being an accessory after the fact and is awaiting sentencing.
Free news isn’t cheap.
We believe that everyone should have access to important local news, for free.
However, it costs money to keep a local news organization like this one—independently owned and operated here in Long Beach, without the backing of any national corporation—alive.
If independent local news is important to you, please consider supporting us with a monthly or one-time contribution. Read more.