Light bars on an ambulance.
File photo of an ambulance.

A man suffered burns on most of his body when butane gas he was allegedly using to make cannabis oil exploded at a residential triplex in Wilmington.

Authorities said the explosion was reported about 1:50 p.m. on Thursday, March 7, in one unit of the triplex in the 1000 block of North Blinn Avenue, which is about two miles west of the Long Beach city limits.

There was no fire when crews arrived and no evacuations were ordered, according to Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The victim, who was not identified, was taken to a hospital in “serious condition with second- to third-degree burns to as much as 60 percent of his body,” according to Humphrey.

The blast appeared to have been related to butane gas being used to make cannabis concentrate, known as honey oil, that’s often used in vaping, police said.

The explosion was under joint investigation by the Los Angeles police and fire departments.