Long Beach man pleads to charges he tried to sexually assault 5-year-old at wedding

A Long Beach man was released from jail today after pleading no contest to trying to sexually assault a 5-year-old girl at a wedding reception.

Jeff Boulter had been behind bars in lieu of $1 million bail since his arrest in May, but if he completes a year of sex-impulse counseling and abides by the terms of his release, he could be spared any further time behind bars, according to authorities.

Boulter, 40, was accused of taking the 5-year-old girl to a dark corner at a May 19 wedding in Valencia before a server noticed what was going on and confronted Boulter, who ran, prosecutors said.

Boulter was originally charged with kidnapping to commit oral copulation, kidnapping for child molesting, kidnapping a victim under 14, a forcible lewd act upon a child, a lewd act upon a child and attempted forcible oral copulation of a victim under 14 years old. The charges could have carried a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Today, however, he pleaded to lesser charges of one felony count of an attempted lewd act upon a child and one misdemeanor count of indecent exposure.

Boulter is scheduled to be officially sentenced on March 18, 2020. If he’s finished 52 weeks of sex-impulse counseling and follows other terms set by the court, he won’t face any more time behind bars, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office.

If Boulter doesn’t complete the counseling or otherwise runs afoul of the court’s terms, he’ll face four years in prison, authorities said.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Editor’s note: This story has been updated with more information about Boulter’s sentence.

Support our journalism.

Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.

Jeremiah Dobruck is the breaking news editor for the Long Beach Post. He began his journalism career in 2007 as an intern at Palos Verdes Peninsula News and has worked for The Forum Newsgroup in New York City, the Daily Pilot and the Press-Telegram. He lives in Torrance with his wife, Lindsey, and their two young children, Paul and Simon.
- ADVERTISEMENT -

More