City seeks donations for people experiencing homelessness
The city of Long Beach is hosting an in-person donation drive-thru event this Saturday to collect essential items for people experiencing homelessness.
The event is part of an ongoing donation drive the city kicked off two weeks ago and is seeking donated items like hygiene kits, hand warmers, batteries, pet food, undergarments, winter clothes and canned food.
The will take place Saturday, March 18, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Veterans Memorial Stadium parking lot on East Conant Street. There are also currently drop-off locations at all Long Beach public libraries, the Boys and Girls Club of Long Beach and the Scherer Park Community Center.
“We are grateful to everyone who has donated items to our drop-off locations, and now we are making it even easier to go all in by visiting our convenient donation drive thru,” said Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson in a statement. “You load your trunk with needed items, and we will take care of the rest. Thank you all for making a difference.”
All donated items will go directly to people at the Multi-Service Center, the city’s hub for homeless services, and will be shared with local partner organizations to distribute to those in need.
Below is a list of all the items the city is seeking, according to a press release:
- Hygiene kits or house-warming gift kits from the Multi-Service Center Amazon Wish List.
- Backpacks filled with needed items such as hand warmers, flashlights, battery packs, batteries (usually D batteries), emergency blankets and charging cables.
- Pet care kits with things like pet food, treats, collars, leashes, pet toys or collapsible pet bowls.
- S, M, L, XL or XXL sweatpants, shirts, socks and men’s and women’s underwear, beanies, scarves, caps, hoodies, towels or blankets. (Gently used items are appreciated, too.)
- Welcome home kits with some of the suggested items above and a hand-written, motivating message to go inside.
- Food items like canned food, bottled drinks like juices or water and snacks such as granola bars or power bars, instant oatmeal and instant soup.
Anyone interested in donating large quantities of an item can schedule a pickup by filling out a large donation pickup request form with more information about the item they are seeking to donate. A city staff member will be in touch within five business days to schedule the pickup, according to the city.
Gift cards to places like Target, Walmart, McDonald’s, Taco Bell, In-N-Out, Dunkin and grocery stores are also accepted but can only be donated at the Multi-Service Center at 1301 W. 12th St. A drop-off time can be scheduled by calling (562) 570-4586.
Veterans Memorial Stadium is located at 5000 E. Lew Davis St.
Support our journalism.
Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.