Homicide detectives have identified the suspect who was shot and killed by police in Long Beach last month, and they’ve arrested an 18-year-old who was also involved in the home-invasion robbery that precipitated the violence, police announced today.

The suspect, a 17-year-old boy, was originally listed as a John Doe in the case after police couldn’t find any identification on him.

Police said they encountered the 17-year-old when they got a call about a person with a gun around 8:35 p.m. on April 26 at a home in the 6800 block of Cerritos Avenue.

A home invasion was in progress when officers arrived, and they soon got into a standoff with the 17-year-old, who was still in the home’s yard, police said.

The boy appeared to be holding a gun, which police later learned was a replica weapon, the LBPD said.

Long Beach police provided this photo of the replica firearm they said a home-invasion suspect was holding when officers fatally shot him.

Officers spoke to him for over an hour in hopes of de-escalating the situation, police said. A SWAT team was called and was preparing to deploy when police shot the 17-year-old. It was unclear exactly what prompted the shooting.

Police now say an 18-year-old was also involved in the robbery, but he fled before officers arrived.

The LBPD identified him as Iskay Mota, an 18-year-old man from Modesto. He was arrested May 1 and held in lieu of $100,000 bail, police said.

Support facts not fear

News happens fast. In the midst of crime, disasters and other breaking news, the Long Beach Post has reporters and photographers who run to the scene to bring you reliable information. If you value this vital community resource, support it with a tax-deductible donation.

Police said officers were wearing body cameras during the shooting, and they’re working to release that footage to the public.

The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the 17-year-old as  Brandon Ramon Salgado of San Bernardino.

Because the teenager was not holding a deadly weapon when he was killed, the California Department of Justice is investigating to determine exactly what happened and decide whether or not officers followed the law and whether the LBPD should change its practices or policies.

City News Service and staff writer Jeremiah Dobruck contributed to this report.