A Los Angeles man and woman were charged today with attempted kidnapping and assault after authorities say they tried to abduct a 1-year-old child in Long Beach last week.
Stacie Earnestine Wilson and Walter Keshone Sullivan face one count each of attempted kidnapping of a victim under the age of 14, two counts each of assault with a deadly weapon and child abuse under circumstances likely to cause great bodily injury or death, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office announced today. Wilson also faces two additional counts of criminal threats, according to the DA.
Wilson and Sullivan have both remained jailed in lieu of $100,000 bail since their arrest on Saturday, inmate records show.
The attempted kidnapping occurred at around noon Saturday in the area of Pine Avenue and 10th Street, according to the Long Beach Police Department. Two women were walking the baby in a stroller when Wilson allegedly approached them, pointed what appeared to be a firearm at them and demanded the baby, authorities said.
“Having your child abducted is every parent’s nightmare. That the individuals made this attempt on a city street in broad daylight makes it that much more alarming,” District Attorney George Gascón said in a statement.
The women resisted and a struggle ensued with Wilson for the stroller, which ended when Sullivan allegedly pulled up near the scene and fired what appeared to be BB pellets in the women’s direction, authorities said.
As other witnesses began to take notice, Wilson fled in the vehicle with Sullivan, according to DA. None of the adults or the baby were injured in the struggle, according to police.
Wilson and Sullivan were arrested later that night at around 8:45 p.m. after detectives located their vehicle in the 400 block of South Occidental Avenue in Los Angeles, police said. Detectives recovered two airsoft replica firearms inside the vehicle, according to the LBPD.
At this time, the motive for the incident remains under investigation, according to police.
Wilson and Sullivan both pleaded not guilty this afternoon and denied all allegations at their initial court appearance. Their bail was increased to $200,000 and $160,000, respectively.