Judge sets high bail for man accused of planning mass shooting at Marriott

A judge today agreed to set a higher-than-normal bail for the man accused of planning to shoot up the Long Beach Marriott where he worked.

Rudolfo Montoya, 37, appeared in court Thursday for the first time since police arrested him earlier this week after allegedly finding a stash of high-powered guns, tactical gear and hundreds of rounds of ammunition at his Huntington Beach home.

At the hearing, Montoya pleaded not guilty to four felonies: possession of an assault weapon, intimidating a witness and two counts of criminal threats.

Those charges would have a maximum penalty of less than six years in prison if Montoya is convicted, and they don’t normally carry $500,000 bail, but prosecutors asked Superior Court Judge Tomson T. Ong for that amount because of the seriousness of the threat Montoya is accused of making.

“I believe that the defendant had the motive, means, and intention to carry out a mass shooting of employees and guests at the Long Beach Marriott Hotel,” they wrote in a bail motion.

They said investigators found “numerous firearms” including an AR-15 assault rifle in the RV where Montoya lived. They also said they feared Montoya would try to flee to Mexico if he were to be released, according to the motion.

Guns police said they found at the suspect’s house. Photo by Thomas R. Cordova.

In court, Montoya was helped by a Spanish-language interpreter. He wore a black T-shirt with his hands cuffed as he responded to the judge’s procedural questions.

Montoya’s public defender asked if there was any chance Ong would reduce the bail, but the judge said that wouldn’t happen based on what prosecutors claimed Montoya was planning.

Montoya worked as a cook at the Marriott hotel at 4700 Airport Plaza Drive in Long Beach.

At a press conference Wednesday, police said they believe a mass shooting was narrowly averted when Montoya’s co-workers turned him in.

Rodolfo Montoya listens to his interpreter in court. Photo by Thomas R. Cordova.

On Monday, he told a colleague how he planned to shoot employees and guests at the hotel, according to authorities, who said he was angry over a human resources issue.

Hotel staff told police about the alleged threat, and officers arrested Montoya the next day.

When they searched his home, they found the guns and other equipment he needed to carry out the plan he’d described, according to Long Beach Police Chief Robert Luna.

Luna said the plot was stopped because hotel employees spoke up.

“Sir, you saved many lives,” Luna said to the hotel’s manager, Imran Ahmed, at the press conference, “not only of your employees but any customers that may have been at the Marriott when this guy decided to show up and carry out his threat.”

Ahmed said Montoya was a reliable worker but somewhat unapproachable.

“He wasn’t a model employee, but he never called out,” he said.

Guns and ammo police said they seized from Montoya’s home. Photo by Jeremiah Dobruck.

Support our journalism.

Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.

Jeremiah Dobruck is the breaking news editor for the Long Beach Post. He began his journalism career in 2007 as an intern at Palos Verdes Peninsula News and has worked for The Forum Newsgroup in New York City, the Daily Pilot and the Press-Telegram. He lives in Torrance with his wife, Lindsey, and their two young children.
- ADVERTISEMENT -

More