At least eight women have reported being sexually battered by a man while walking in West Long Beach since September and police are asking for the public’s help in finding him.
In nearly all the attacks, the suspect grabbed the victim in some way and thrusted his pelvis against her. In one case, he stole a 16-year-old girl’s wallet and in the latest, he grabbed a woman’s breasts and buttocks.
A woman first reported an incident in September and detectives have since then connected seven other incidents with similar circumstances, police said. Most of the incidents happened in November and three even happened in the same day.
The suspect has attacked the women generally between 6 and 8:30 p.m. while they were walking alone or with other females. All the victims are Hispanic women or teen girls, police said. The suspect is described as a male Hispanic between the ages of 17 and 20 years old with a thin build and between 5-foot-6-inches and 5-foot-8-inches tall. He was wearing a face covering, black hoodie with white stripes and black Vans tennis shoes in several incidents, police said.
Here is each incident:
- Sept. 18, 2020: A 43-year-old woman reported to police that the suspect grabbed her from behind and thrusted against her in the area of Locust Avenue and Willard Street.
- Nov. 5, 2020: A 37-year-old woman reported the suspect grabbed her from behind, covered her mouth and thrusted against her in the area of 25th Street and Earl Avenue.
- Nov. 8, 2020: A 26-year-old woman reported the suspect grabbed her from behind and thrusted against her in the area of 20th Street and Pasadena Avenue.
- Nov. 18, 2020: A 48-year-old woman reported the suspect grabbed her from behind and thrusted against her and then pushed her down when she tried to defend herself in the area of 20th Street and Pasadena Avenue.
- Nov. 29, 2020: A 27-year-old woman reported the suspect grabbed her arms from behind and thrusted against her in the area of Hill Street and Locust Avenue. Police also got a report from a 31-year-old woman who said the suspect grabbed her face from behind and thrusted against her near the 100 block of Burnett Street. The same day, a 16-year-old girl reported she was walking in the area of Pine Avenue and Burnett Street when the suspect grabbed her buttocks from behind and took her wallet.
- Dec. 30, 2020: A 22-year-old woman reported the suspect grabbed her breasts and buttocks in the area of Nevada Street and Earl Avenue.
The LBPD reminded the public to be aware of their surroundings and to report any suspicious people or activity immediately. They are also encouraging anyone who may have been a victim and not reported the incident to do so immediately by calling dispatch at 562-435-6711.
If you have information regarding the suspect, police said to contact Detective Gabriel Ruiz at 562-570-7372. Anonymous tips may be submitted by calling 1-800-222-8477 or visiting www.lacrimestoppers.org.
Support our journalism.
Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.