Long Beach police detectives arrested a 44-year-old homeless man Thursday morning on suspicion of fatally stabbing of another homeless man on the Downtown Promenade in October, the department announced.
Police said that officers took Charles Ray Jones into custody around 8:30 a.m. Thursday near the 100 block of the Promenade, which includes a park that sits just north the First Street transit terminal.
Jones’ arrest happened just one block north of where officers responded to a stabbing victim about seven months earlier in October.
The stabbing victim, 41-year-old Nilton Cardoso, ultimately died from his injuries, according to authorities. Police said that an investigation linked Jones to Cardoso’s death and they believe the stabbing could have resulted from a dispute the two were having.
Cardoso was stabbed multiple times in the upper body with a sharp object, police said.
Jones is being held on $2 million bail.
Support our journalism.
Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.