It’s that time of year again—the Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach will roar into town next weekend.
City officials are expecting traffic to be impacted from Wednesday, April 12, through Monday, April 17. Here’s an overview of the planned schedule of street closures, though the times are approximate and subject to change.
Wednesday, April 12
- 4 a.m.
- Closure of the side streets off Shoreline Drive and Seaside Way leading into the racecourse.
- 7 a.m.
- Closure of westbound Shoreline Drive.
- Closure of the northbound Queensway Bridge off‐ramp.
- Closure of the southbound Queensway Bridge on‐ramp from Shoreline Drive.
- Closure of Aquarium Way, south of Shoreline Drive.
- 3 p.m.
- Closure of eastbound Shoreline Drive from Broadway to Ocean Boulevard.
- Pine Avenue will remain open to traffic for visitors to the Hyatt, waterfront restaurants, Shoreline Village and Shoreline Marina tenants.
The following schedule will apply Friday, Saturday and Sunday, April 14-16:
- 6 a.m.:
- Access to the Hyatt, Shoreline Village and the Shoreline Marina from Ocean Boulevard and Pine Avenue will close.
- Southbound Pine Avenue will close to all traffic.
- Access to the south side of the track will be provided at the intersection of Ocean Boulevard and Alamitos Avenue and will only be available to Grand Prix passholders and those with boat owner permits.
- Closure of interior streets of The Pike, north of Shoreline Drive.
- 7 p.m.:
- Pine Avenue will open for traffic to access the Hyatt, Shoreline Village and Shoreline Marina tenants.
On Friday and Saturday, the Ocean Boulevard and Alamitos Avenue entry access route will close at 9:30 p.m., while that route will close at 7 p.m. Sunday.
Monday, April 17
- At 5 p.m., traffic flow will be restored to:
- Both east and westbound Shoreline Drive.
- Northbound Queensway Bridge off‐ramp, southbound Queensway Bridge on‐ramp from Shoreline Drive, east and westbound Seaside Way.
- North and southbound Pine Avenue, including Pine Avenue Circle.
- North and south bound Shoreline Village Drive.
- All service roads and internal streets of The Pike facility.
While the event is in town, valet parking will be available for guests dining at waterfront restaurants. Parking will also be available at Shoreline Village. All vehicles entering at Pine Avenue will exit to the east through the Marina Green parking lot and should follow the directional signage.
The Aquarium of the Pacific, meanwhile, will remain open to visitors during their normal operating hours. But beginning Friday, April 14, the aquarium’s parking structure will not be accessible. Below is a list of parking advisories for visitors:
- All vehicles must be out of the Aquarium parking structure by 3 p.m. on Thursday, April 13.
- From Friday through Sunday, April 14-16, aquarium parking available at the Queen Mary parking lot. Free shuttles to the aquarium will be provided.
Not into the Grand Prix? Here’s how you can avoid it