Long Beach officials on Thursday said a man who ended up testing positive for COVID-19 went to the city’s homeless shelter in North Long Beach last week.
He exhibited symptoms of the virus during the shelter’s intake process and was taken to a Los Angeles County hospital. He is still at the hospital recovering in stable condition.
“All individuals who had direct exposure to the individual are being tested as a precaution,” officials said.
Officials also announced the largest jump in positive cases yet: 38 more people have tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the city’s total to 667.
Of the new cases, 13 appear to be from long-term care facilities. The city’s health department is monitoring 12 long-term care facilities with active cases.
The city reported 36 deaths, which was unchanged from Wednesday.
In addition, officials announced first responders can be tested at the new testing site at Jordan Plus High School starting today. Starting Monday, May 4, testing will be open to all residents with symptoms and essential workers at that site.
Editor’s note: The city originally stated the man went to the West Long Beach homeless shelter, but he went to the North Long Beach homeless shelter.
Support our journalism.
Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.