One person is dead and several others were hospitalized Tuesday night after a police pursuit that began in Seal Beach ended in Long Beach with the suspect crashing into several vehicles, according to authorities.

The pursuit began sometime around 7:58 p.m. in the area of PCH and Marina Drive after officers pulled a woman driving a 2006 Lexus sedan over for a vehicle code violation, according to the Seal Beach Police Department.

Police say that after pulling the woman over, the officer walked back to his vehicle to run her information. That’s when the officer apparently noticed the passenger in the car, later identified as 39-year-old Chaz Lamar Long, move into the driver’s seat and then take off, police said.

Long refused to stop, according to police, leading officers on a chase where at one point he was driving against traffic by going northbound in the southbound lanes of PCH around Fifth Street and Studebaker Road.

The vehicle pursuit came to an end around 8:05 p.m. when, according to authorities, Long crashed into several vehicles on Second Street and PCH.

Following the crash, Long attempted to flee on foot, but officers used a Taser to detain him and take him into custody, according to the SBPD.

“It was later discovered that the suspect had an outstanding federal no-bail warrant for weapons violations,” the SBPD said in a statement early Wednesday morning.

Long and the woman inside the vehicle he was driving were injured in the crash and subsequently transported to a hospital for treatment, police said. An infant child located by authorities in the vehicle driven by Long was also taken to the hospital as a precaution, police said.

The Long Beach Police Department said Wednesday afternoon that a total of seven people were injured, five of whom required hospitalization.

In addition, a passenger of one of the cars, who the Los Angeles County coroner’s office identified as Sara Shorteno, 74, of Toronto, died at the scene, according to Seal Beach police.

According to Long Beach Fire Department spokesperson Jake Heflin, firefighters used the Jaws of Life to remove numerous patients from the wrecked vehicles.

Long Beach police also responded to the scene to investigate the traffic collision.

Second and PCH were closed going both ways for several hours while police investigated the crash.

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to identify the woman who died and to clarify the number of people who were injured and required hospitalization.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Former Suge Knight attorney sentenced in conspiracy, perjury case