A 78-year-old man was ordered Friday to stand trial on attempted murder and assault charges for allegedly shooting a neighbor at a Long Beach senior citizens’ apartment complex.
Los Angeles Superior Court Commissioner Kristi Lousteau found sufficient evidence to require Johnnie Lee Brown to proceed to trial on one count each of attempted murder and assault with a firearm in connection with the November 13 shooting of Robert Hoare at the complex in the 600 block of Redondo Avenue.
Brown—who appeared in court in a wheelchair—has remained jailed in lieu of $2 million bail since the day of the shooting.
Hoare, 67, testified that he answered a knock at his door to find an “irate” Brown, who accused him of banging on the wall. He said he told his new neighbor—who had moved in three days earlier—that “the pipes make noise some times.”
“I didn’t realize that he was going to pull out a gun … I saw the gun come out and I heard four shots,” he said, testifying that he grabbed the weapon and tossed it down the hallway after he heard someone say to drop the gun. He said that he didn’t realize that he had been shot until he noticed his head and left arm were bleeding, and that injuries to his right ear and left foot still cause him pain.
Under cross-examination, Hoare maintained that he had not grabbed or pushed Brown during the brief confrontation.
Deputy District Attorney Tony Cho told the judge that it was a “completely unprovoked attack,” while Brown’s attorney argued that it was “self-defense.”
Brown is due back in court March 23 for arraignment.
Free news isn’t cheap.
We believe that everyone should have access to important local news, for free.
However, it costs money to keep a local news organization like this one—independently owned and operated here in Long Beach, without the backing of any national corporation—alive.
If independent local news is important to you, please consider supporting us with a monthly or one-time contribution. Read more.