A Long Beach man was sentenced to 16 years and four months in state prison Thursday after pleading no contest to carjacking and fleeing police last year, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
Officials said Aaron Lorta was spotted by police in Boyle Heights on February 9, 2015 in a car they thought may have been stolen.
“When the officers tried to talk to him, Lorta drove away and led police on a high-speed chase that was televised live,” the district attorney’s office stated.
Lorta struck several vehicles before approaching a female motorist and pointing a gun at her, prosecutors said.
“He stole her car and then drove erratically before getting out of the car that was trapped in heavy traffic,” officials stated. “Officers said they saw a gun in Lorta’s hand and opened fire, striking him several times.”
The case was investigated by the Los Angeles Police Department.
Stephanie Rivera covers immigration and the north, west and central parts of Long Beach. Reach her at [email protected] or on Twitter at @StephRivera88.
Free news isn’t cheap.
We believe that everyone should have access to important local news, for free.
However, it costs money to keep a local news organization like this one—independently owned and operated here in Long Beach, without the backing of any national corporation—alive.
If independent local news is important to you, please consider supporting us with a monthly or one-time contribution. Read more.