Long Beach man pleads to charges he tried to sexually assault 5-year-old at wedding • Long Beach Post

A Long Beach man was released from jail today after pleading no contest to trying to sexually assault a 5-year-old girl at a wedding reception.


ADVERTISEMENT - Story continues below
Advertise with the Post

Jeff Boulter had been behind bars in lieu of $1 million bail since his arrest in May, but if he completes a year of sex-impulse counseling and abides by the terms of his release, he could be spared any further time behind bars, according to authorities.

Boulter, 40, was accused of taking the 5-year-old girl to a dark corner at a May 19 wedding in Valencia before a server noticed what was going on and confronted Boulter, who ran, prosecutors said.

Boulter was originally charged with kidnapping to commit oral copulation, kidnapping for child molesting, kidnapping a victim under 14, a forcible lewd act upon a child, a lewd act upon a child and attempted forcible oral copulation of a victim under 14 years old. The charges could have carried a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Today, however, he pleaded to lesser charges of one felony count of an attempted lewd act upon a child and one misdemeanor count of indecent exposure.

Boulter is scheduled to be officially sentenced on March 18, 2020. If he’s finished 52 weeks of sex-impulse counseling and follows other terms set by the court, he won’t face any more time behind bars, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office.

If Boulter doesn’t complete the counseling or otherwise runs afoul of the court’s terms, he’ll face four years in prison, authorities said.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Editor’s note: This story has been updated with more information about Boulter’s sentence.

Jeremiah Dobruck is the breaking news editor of the Long Beach Post. Reach him at [email protected] or @jeremiahdobruck on Twitter.

Free news isn’t cheap.

We believe that everyone should have access to important local news, for free.

However, it costs money to keep a local news organization like this one—independently owned and operated here in Long Beach, without the backing of any national corporation—alive.

If independent local news is important to you, please consider supporting us with a monthly or one-time contribution. Read more.

$
Select Payment Method
Personal Info

This is a secure SSL encrypted payment.

Donation Total: $5.00 Monthly

ERROR:

Share this:

« »