cleaning products

Stock photo.

A family of five was hospitalized Sunday afternoon after inhaling a mixture of cleaning chemicals, causing shortness of breath among them in their North Long Beach home, authorities said.

Long Beach Fire Department (LBFD) personnel responded to a residence on the 5500 block of Ackerfield Avenue at 4:35PM Sunday, October 9, LBFD spokesman Jake Heflin said.

According to dispatchers, one of the residents said they mixed some household chemicals inside the home and were suffering from the fumes. A man, a 34-year-old woman and boys ages 9, 6 and 10 months were taken to a hospital suffering from shortness of breath, Heflin said.

Firefighters stayed at the scene to ventilate the home, which smelled of bleach, he said.

The family was able to return to the residence at 6:04PM, according to Heflin.

City News Service contributed to this report.

{FG_GEOMAP [33.8573639,-118.162509] FG_GEOMAP}

Stephanie Rivera is the community engagement editor. Reach her at [email protected] or on Twitter at @StephRivera88.