Firefighters doused a grease fire that started in the kitchen of Hof’s Hut last night and spread into the ventilation system, according to authorities.
The blaze began around 11:38 p.m. Thursday, about half an hour after closing time at the location on Bellflower Boulevard near Stearns Street.
When firefighters arrived, they saw heavy smoke and flames coming from the restaurant’s roof, said Long Beach Fire Department Capt. Matt Dobberpuhl.
The fire was difficult to access, having spread to the kitchen’s hood system, he said, but crews knocked down the flames by 11:50 p.m. and had any hotspots doused by 1 a.m.
“It was ruled an accidental grease fire,” Dobberpuhl said.
The Hof’s Hut location was closed Friday morning while employees worked to evaluate the damage.
“The kitchen is pretty messed up,” said Gail Lampson, a longtime server who was turning away customers at the back door.
It wasn’t immediately clear when the Hof’s Hut would reopen.
Nobody was hurt in the blaze, Dobberpuhl said.
Support our journalism.
Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.