Long Beach health officials said they will resume giving the single-dose Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine beginning Saturday, in line with other health agencies.
The city and most other health agencies halted administering the vaccine in mid-April due to blood clots found in a small number of people who received the vaccine.
A panel of the Centers for Disease Control, however, said last week that it was OK to resume use as long as the vaccine contained a warning label about the risks.
As of last week, the rare but severe type of blood clots had been found in 15 people out of 7.9 million doses of the vaccine that have been administered.
In a statement Wednesday, the city said it will distribute appropriate educational materials to inform patients of the vaccine’s low risk of health effects and other available vaccine options.
Los Angeles County announced last week it would resume use of the vaccine as well.
Support our journalism.
Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.