After multiple lawsuits stemming from its use as a senior living facility, the historic Breakers building has reached an agreement with the California Department of Social Services (DSS) to have its Senior Care license revoked, a DSS spokesperson confirmed Thursday.
The agreement, which has not yet been finalized but will ultimately lead to the revocation of the Breakers’ license for its use as a senior care facility, will need to be approved by the DSS’s deputy director, said Michael Weston, Deputy Director of Public Affairs for DSS in an interview with the Long Beach Post.
The Breakers, which is owned by Bernard Rosenson, was ordered last year to pay several hundred-thousand dollars in damages to a woman who suffered injuries while being cared for at the facility. It also had two additional lawsuits filed against it in 2013, including one for the wrongful death of a 90-year-old resident.
As part of the agreement reached Thursday, residents of the Breakers building will also have to be properly notified and given 60 days notice to vacate, Weston said.
“Once the settlement is finalized, then they have timelines to notice everybody and put those things in action,” he said. “Right now we’re just making sure all that process is being done properly to ensure the rights of the residents.”
Weston could not give any indication on when the revocation would be finalized, but he said it would be in the “near future.”
Maggie Macklin, president of the Breakers Residents Council, said she was shocked to hear about the revocation and that she would therefore be forced to find another senior care facility to live in.
“I’m just done,” she said in a phone interview. “I don’t know what to say. I don’t know what’s going to happen. Just thinking about checking out other assisted living… I can’t afford it. I love this place and everybody else does. It’s just unfair that it had to go this far. We always suspected the license would be revoked but now that it’s actually happened, we’re just going, ‘Now what?'”
Amy Bodek, Director of Development Services, said in an email to the Post that there currently are no other potential proposals for the building on file with the city.
It is unclear if plans for a sober living facility at the Breakers are going through. Both City Council members and Long Beach Development Services have said it is not a permitted or welcomed use of the building.
Multiple sources confirmed a meeting was held last month at the Breakers between the building’s residents, Rosenson and a company called Solid Landings, which offers gender-specific recovery plans for those suffering from addiction.
According to a careers page on Solid Landings’ website, three job positions are available at a Long Beach location for the company, but it does not disclose a specific address.
The Post has reached out to Solid Landings regarding further information on a Long Beach location and will post updates as we learn more.
Support our journalism.
Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.