Update: City reports no major looting incidents as of Monday evening

After a night of looting and violence that started late Sunday and stretched into the early morning hours on Monday, Long Beach has so far seen a relatively quiet day with no major looting incidents reported, officials said.

Mayor Robert Garcia in an 8:30 p.m. news conference said Long Beach police have spent the day following up on reports of looting from social media, but so far, the reports have been unfounded.

As of right now, the city has had no looting incidents that we are yet aware of yet, and we hope it remains that way,” Garcia said. 

Roughly 3,000 people flooded Downtown on Sunday afternoon to march in protest of death of George Floyd at the hands of a Minneapolis police officer. The demonstration was largely peaceful, but by the evening, looters and vandals had fanned across the city, resulting in 85 arrests, authorities said.

The Downtown Long Beach Alliance on Monday reported that 67 businesses in downtown were broken into or looted in the night’s chaos.

The National Guard has remained in the city to help keep order and officers have blocked off certain business districts to add an additional layer of safety.

Garcia urged people to follow the city’s curfew, which remains in effecting until 5 a.m. Tuesday, but may be extended if the situation warrants.

Long Beach Police Chief Robert Luna said officers will be out enforcing the curfew. Authorities were hopeful that the night will remain quiet. 

“So far, I think we’re all cautiously optimistic that the work that is happening on the ground is playing off,” Garcia said.

Asked about the prevalence of fireworks being blasted from all corners of the city, Luna said that is common this time of year ahead of the Fourth of July, and that the city was continuing enforcement of the illegal explosives.

“Those fireworks are very irritating,” he said. “It is a known fact that fireworks are dangerous, aside from being irritating.”

Support our journalism.

Hyperlocal news is an essential force in our democracy, but it costs money to keep an organization like this one alive, and we can’t rely on advertiser support alone. That’s why we’re asking readers like you to support our independent, fact-based journalism. We know you like it—that’s why you’re here. Help us keep hyperlocal news alive in Long Beach.

Kelly Puente is a general assignment and special projects reporter at the Long Beach Post. Her prolific reporting has taken her all over Southern California—even to the small Catalina Island town of Two Harbors. She is a Tiki mug collector and is currently pursuing a master’s degree in public policy and administration at Cal State Long Beach. Reach her at [email protected].
- ADVERTISEMENT -

More