Doing Good in the LBC is a weekly newsletter where we’ll share how you can volunteer or give back in our city. We’ll also share the latest goings-on of nonprofit organizations in Long Beach.
Cabrillo instructional aide named LBUSD employee of the year
If you’re walking around Cabrillo High School next to the 500 building near Santa Fe Avenue, you’ll happen upon a flourishing garden full of herbs, vegetables and much more.
This is the work of Martha Jenkins, who has gotten her hands dirty in the best way possible to improve her campus and the lives of her special education students.
After COVID-19, Jenkins took it upon herself to expand her duties as an instructional aide to include “gardener extraordinaire.” Now she has her special education students join her in tending the garden while learning about what makes things grow.
“She has really gone above and beyond her duties,” Cabrillo Assistant Principal George Walton said of Jenkins. “She came in on her personal time to help manage and maintain that garden for our students. She also makes sure that things are nice for her colleagues around campus.”
Jenkins’ efforts have not gone unnoticed, and she was named the Long Beach Unified School District classified employee of the year late last month.
Find out more here.
Places to volunteer in Long Beach
- The Wrigley Clean Team is looking for volunteers to help clean the Willow Corridor on Saturday, June 24. Join them at 9:30 a.m. at Golden and Willow and bring your own broom— trash pickers and bags will be provided. Email [email protected] with any questions.
- Also this Saturday, Food Finders is looking for volunteers to help with its monthly community marketplace event at Admiral Kidd Park, 2125 Santa Fe Ave., from 8-11 a.m. Reserve your spot here, and contact James Wright at [email protected] or 562-283-1400 ext. 109 with any questions.
- Christian Outreach in Action is looking for volunteers during a warehouse bargain sale on July 7 and July 8 located at 275 E. 25th St. Morning shifts are 8 to 11:45 a.m. and afternoon hours are 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Volunteers will assist with set-up, assisting customers, and clean-up. To sign up, contact Brenda Caloca, 562-432-1440 or [email protected].
Ways to give in Long Beach
- Support the Conservation Corps of Long Beach by attending the Dine on Pine fundraiser on June 26 from 5 to 9 p.m. The event includes a progressive dinner with Cafe Sevilla, L’Opera Ristorante and George’s Greek Cafe. Tickets are $150. Get more information and purchase tickets here.
- Care Closet LBC is always accepting donations that help provide sleeping bags, shoes, and other essentials for Long Beach’s unhoused residents. Contribute here.
- Donate food, gardening supplies or hygiene items to Long Beach Community Table. Get more information or donate through PayPal here.