Hi, I’m Kat Schuster and welcome to Doing Good in the LBC, a weekly newsletter where I’ll share how you can volunteer or give back in our city. I’ll also share the latest goings-on of nonprofit organizations in Long Beach.
Nonprofit news: Jewel Box Children’s Theater Company to open West Long Beach location
Anna Kate Mohler says she comes from the world of improvisation. For Andy Zacharias, his background is in music composition. Together, the two have bridged their experiences for the Jewel Box Children’s Theater Company—a space for children to improvise, play games and create.
Unlike other theater programs that typically produce Broadway musicals, at Jewel Box, children create their own performances, which can be anything from fun, to wacky, to just out-of-the-box, said Mohler and Zacharias.
“Just having a space where people feel invited to do things that sometimes are seen as exclusive is important,” Mohler said.
Places to volunteer in Long Beach
- Crossroads Long Beach is calling for volunteers to help distribute food at its drive-thru and walk up event every third Saturday of the month from 9 a.m. to noon. Those interested in signing up for the event can text the word “CARE” to 562-524-1206. More information here.
- Los Cerritos/Bixby Knolls Clean Streets will meet at 9 a.m. on Sunday (May 28) for its community cleanup. Volunteers will gather in front of the Laserfiche building on Long Beach Boulevard. More information here.
- Christian Outreach in Action is looking for more volunteers to work shifts at its food and clothing banks. There are also opportunities for community cleanups, donation sorting, peer fundraising and more. Sign up here.
Places to donate in Long Beach
- The Long Beach Rescue Mission is looking for donations of clothing, toiletries, sheets and office supplies for its various facilities that serve those living unhoused in Long Beach. See the list of needs and get more information here.
- Long Beach Animal Care Services collects donations to help malnourished or injured animals that end up in their shelter. Donate to the Emergency Care Fund here.
- Donate new or gently used housewares and clothing to the Assistance League of Long Beach’s Thrift & Vintage Shop at 2100 E. Fourth St. Donation hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. All proceeds go toward helping children and adults in need in Long Beach. More information here.
- Register for or donate to Walk for Kids 2023 – Long Beach coming up on June 4. It’s an annual community fundraiser that supports children and families who rely on services provided by the Ronald McDonald House Long Beach. More information here.
Long Beachers doing good
Are you volunteering in Long Beach? Send us a picture and tell us about your impact on our community!
Email us at [email protected] to share a place to volunteer, a way to give or how you’re doing good in Long Beach and we may include it in our weekly newsletter.