Doing Good in the LBC is a weekly newsletter where we’ll share how you can volunteer or give back in our city. We’ll also share the latest goings-on of nonprofit organizations in Long Beach.
Nonprofit News: Deborah Goldfarb to reassume CEO position for Jewish Long Beach, Alpert Jewish Community Center
As Zach Benjamin prepares to exit his term as CEO for Jewish Long Beach and the Alpert Jewish Community Center, Deborah Goldfarb will take up that mantle for the second time beginning June 1.
Goldfarb previously served as the CEO of Jewish Federation and Jewish Community Foundation for 14 years before it became Jewish Long Beach. In 2020 she assumed the role of interim CEO of the Alpert Jewish Community Center and worked with Benjamin to integrate the Alpert Jewish Community Center and Jewish Long Beach before taking a year off. Stepping back in now, it’s a familiar role for Goldfarb, who had passed the reins to Zach Benjamin in 2019.
“Since 2019, there has been a braiding of efforts under the Jewish Long Beach umbrella,” said Leslie Smith, a spokesperson for the organization.
Goldfarb shared many of her goals for her new two-year tenure with the Business Journal. One of her priorities is to increase advocacy around countering antisemitism, she said.
In Long Beach, 69% of Jewish adults are very concerned about antisemitism in the U.S., according to a 2021 Long Beach-Area Jewish Community Study, which was published on Tuesday.
“Currently, we’re looking to work more closely with the (Long Beach) school board on educational initiatives,” she said. “We’re also developing a series of interfaith conversations in order to educate and build alliances as well.”
Places to volunteer in Long Beach
- The American Cancer Society is looking for volunteers for The Greater Long Beach Relay For Life on June 3. There are five shifts available for the 12 hour walk. More information here.
- You can help foster, feed, clean or walk dogs up for adoption under Long Beach Animal Care Services. More information here.
- El Dorado Nature Center has several opportunities to volunteer throughout the month. Spaces in each program are limited and volunteers must call to register in advance. Every first Saturday, help preserve the Nature Center’s beauty by cleaning the stream, pulling weeds, clearing the trails or spreading mulch, from 10 a.m. to noon.
- Join the Weekend Wetland Warrior team each third Saturday, to protect the critical habitat at Golden Shore Marine Biological Reserve, from 10 a.m. to noon.
- Meet at 101 Golden Shore Ave. Each fourth Saturday, join fellow park-lovers to clean up debris from the park and lakes, from 9 to 10 a.m.
- All ages are welcome, but anyone under 18 must bring an adult. Meet at the parking lot next to the pedal boat dock in Area III. To register, and for any questions, call 562-570-1745.
Places to donate in Long Beach
- Register for or donate to Walk for Kids 2023 – Long Beach coming up on June 4. It’s an annual community fundraiser that supports children and families who rely on services provided by the Ronald McDonald House Long Beach. More information here.
- Long Beach Animal Care Services collects donations to help malnourished or injured animals that end up in their shelter. Donate to the Emergency Care Fund here.
- Donate new or gently used housewares and clothing to the Assistance League of Long Beach’s Thrift & Vintage Shop at 2100 E. Fourth St. Donation hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. All proceeds go toward helping children and adults in need in Long Beach. More information here.
- The Feline Good Social Club, Long Beach’s first and only cat lounge, accepts monetary donations or you can purchase an item off their Amazon wish list, which will be shipped directly to the Downtown kitty lounge for adoptable felines to enjoy. More information here.
Are you volunteering in Long Beach? Send us a picture and tell us about your impact on our community!
Email me at [email protected] to share a place to volunteer, a way to give or how you’re doing good in Long Beach and we may include it in our weekly newsletter.