The Long Beach City Council in April voted unanimously to explore possibly transferring control of Pier H, which includes the historic Queen Mary, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal, Hotel Maya and other businesses, to the Harbor Department that oversees the Port of Long Beach.
Long Beach last week took over daily operations of the ship for the first time in more than 40 years after its operator, Eagle Hospitality Trust, chose to give up the lease in Delaware bankruptcy court.
The Long Beach City Council on Tuesday will consider the immediate authorization of $500,000 in Tidelands Critical Infrastructure funds to begin work on safety and stability.
The city auditor since 2019 has been investigating how the Queen Mary’s operator spent $23 million to fix some of the most critical repairs listed in a marine survey.
Documents in Delaware bankruptcy court allege that Urban Commons principals Taylor Woods and Howard Wu conspired to split the Queen Mary’s employee payroll into two groups so they could apply for two different federal Paycheck Protection Program loans and maximize their aid money.
In an interview with the Post, Martin Docherty-Hughes, a member of the United Kingdom Parliament who represents the town where the Queen Mary was built, said he plans to raise the issue of the ship’s fate on the floor of the House of Commons.
“It’s an important part of not just Long Beach history, but the history of the country and its relationship with the U.K.,” said Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia.
Long Beach is considering transferring control of the Queen Mary to the Harbor Commission but the plan faces pushback from port-area unions and others who say the port shouldn’t be burdened with a deteriorating relic.
The report from Elliott Bay Design Group was part of a trove of bankruptcy court documents released last week that paint a dire situation for the Queen Mary’s condition, the operator’s financial struggles and the city’s obligations.
Fluffy’s Sno-Balls on Long Beach Boulevard features classic New Orleans-style shaved ice.