UPDATE | A former employee of an Applebee’s restaurant in Signal Hill pleaded no contest today to charges that he secretly recorded nine co-workers in a bathroom at the eatery.
Edgar Augusto Garcia Franco, 49, of Long Beach, was immediately sentenced to 360 days in county jail following his plea to 38 misdemeanor counts of unauthorized invasion of privacy by videotaping or photographing eight women and one man between July and August, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
Superior Court Judge John D. Lord told Garcia Franco that he could face an additional 17 years and nine months behind bars—the same duration as his probation—if he commits any violations during that time period,according to the District Attorney’s Office.
The defendant will additionally be required to register as a sex offender for the duration of the sentence, and was ordered to stay away from all Applebee’s restaurants, according to the District Attorney’s Office.
Police were dispatched Aug. 19 to the Applebee’s at 899 E. Spring St. following the discovery of a video camera inside the employees’ restroom, according to Signal Hill police.
“The camera was used to capture footage of various employees inside of the restroom,” according to a police statement. “There is no evidence that patrons of the restaurant were videotaped.”
Garcia Franco was arrested Aug. 20 and has remained behind bars since then.
PREVIOUSLY: Applebee’s employee pleads not guilty to filming coworkers in bathroom
8/22/18 at 1:04 p.m. | by Jeremiah Dobruck | Prosecutors have filed 38 misdemeanor counts of invasion of privacy against the Applebee’s employee accused of filming his coworkers in the bathroom at the chain’s Signal Hill restaurant.
Edgar Augusto García Franco, a 49-year-old Long Beach resident, pleaded not guilty to the charges Wednesday morning, authorities said.
Signal Hill police said they arrested García Franco after someone found the camera Sunday in an employee bathroom.
Prosecutors alleged García Franco used the camera to record eight women and one man between July and August at the restaurant, which is at 899 E. Spring St.
Police said there’s no evidence any patrons at the restaurant were recorded.
García Franco could face up to 19 years in jail if he’s convicted. His bail was set at $150,000, prosecutors said.
Support our journalism.
It’s been one year since the Long Beach Post began asking you, our readers, to contribute to keeping local journalism alive in the city.
Thousands have contributed over the past year giving an average contribution of $12.39 a month.
Please consider what the news and information you get every day from the Post means to you, and start a recurring monthly contribution now. READ MORE.